The Cursed Tale of a British Armoured Squadron
My Late-war British Armoured Squadron started life back in the days of Festung Europa. I decided that my Mid-war Sherman III company stood me in such good stead that I would carry on playing them in Late-war. I also wanted it to be special, so I spent a good deal of time detailing them with green-stuff stowage and such. However, my attempts at sculpting were so deplorable, that I threw them into a box in frustration and covered them up.
About 6 months later came the move to New Zealand. I didn't bother protecting the box so much as I knew how terrible they were. In fact I had repainted all of my Mid-war Sherman IIIs to match the Italian theatre, so I really didn't have a need for the NW Europe ones at all. Well, the trip handled them poorly, and they were by far the worst off of all my armies, no fault but mine here!
About two years ago, my army boxes had a little mishap and one flopped end-for-end onto the floor. I peeled the lid back a little to peek in to see which army had taken the fall. You guessed it.... poor bastards. Back up they went, without a further damage assessment.
Well, task one was to assess the damage, which wasn't as bad as I had thought. Several of the 75mm turrets' main guns were utterly destroyed, but I had some spare in my bits box. Many had bits of resin chipped, but once again these were not so bad and the ones that didn't actually look like glancing blows, I covered in stowage.
The markings were hilarious. Originally designed to be A Troop, Irish Guards, I had the flash number 51 and yellow circle tactical symbols on the turrets. This haphazard arrangement was chosen purely on what decals were available at the time they were first assembled and what color of tactical symbol I though contrasted the best with the green color of the tanks. It took all of 30 seconds for Phil to set me straight on the markings when I first showed them off shortly after their arrival in country.
After dressing up the tanks, I decided they needed some infantry support. I've got two British Rifle companies, one a MW 8th Army variant, and the second an Italian-theatre Canadian variant. I don't need a third, but I reached a moment of clarity that I should get rid of my Italian-theatre ones and build a generic one that would work for both NW Europe and, at a stretch, Italy.
These poor tanks have been waiting to get a serious game in for nearly 6 years... I hope I can get them on the move soon!
Thanks for stopping by and reading about the epic tale of my cursed Armoured Squadron!